The holidays are one of the jolliest times of the year, but it's the worst time to be on the road. While traffic jams and congestion are inevitable, we make it worth it by seeing family that we haven't seen in a while. To ensure you make it there in one piece, you need to keep safety in mind. This year, the travel numbers are expected to increase since many did not see family due to the pandemic last year. To stay protected, you will need to be on the lookout for various hazards, including harsh weather and negligent drivers.
Whether you're driving for work or vacation this time of year, please take extra precautions on the road. You can reduce the risk of an accident or injury by following these safe driving tips below:
- Make Sure Your Vehicle is Well Equipped for Long-Distance Travel: Your car should be in tip-top shape before trekking miles and miles. We recommend having a mechanic inspect your vehicle before departing. Your technician should thoroughly examine items such as brakes, batteries, tires, headlights, engine oil, and windshield wipers.
- Check the Weather: Before setting out on your adventure, please remember to check the weather. The weather can be very unexpected this time of year, so it's best to check to see if you might encounter some rain or snow during your drive.
- Follow the Speed Limit: This is a no-brainer, as traffic laws are intended to keep everyone safe. You must always look at and follow traffic laws.
- Get Some Good Rest Before Your Drive: Please ensure you're well-rested before doing a long drive. Driving while fatigued can have the same damaging effects as drinking and driving, so it's best to switch off drivers or take a break when you catch yourself yawning.
- Plan for Emergencies: In case of any crisis, please pack an emergency travel kit to ease the stress. Your equipment should have basic necessities such as a phone charger, flashlight, batteries, first aid kit, essential tools, blankets, water, snacks, etc.
You must follow these safe driving tips on the roads this holiday! You can never plan too early by preparing for these weeks ahead of you. Be safe on the road by getting a pre-trip inspection done by Import Auto Specialists today.